Monday, March 3, 2014

The Color Of Your Soul


We got a warm and sunny day here in the middle of what supposed to be buckets of rain - a true marvel! I did not take any new pictures, but as I went down to the beach to enjoy sunshine, I suddenly caught myself thinking of one Spring day last year - actually, it was my birthday. I don't know how you guys like to celebrate your B-days, but I in the last few years learned to enjoy spending this day with just two people - my husband and my daughter, and even though I love gifts (and yes, I do love stuff), my favorite present seems to be "an event", and above all sorts of events I in a heartbeat would pick a trip to a new place.



On that beautiful May day when I turned 40, I picked a day trip to a town north of Seattle, just a few miles from the Canadian border - Bellingham. It is one of old towns in Washington, located on the shore of Puget Sound and surrounded by gorgeous, generous, evergreen nature.


It has a small town charm and some wonderful examples of Victorian architecture, although I was focused on visiting parks with amazing views of the Puget Sound and a very pretty waterfall, called Whatcom Falls - not very big one, but really pretty and easily accessible, which is a big plus (to get to see some of our waterfalls, you have to take a pretty serious hike, so whenever you can drive, park and walk just a few feet in order to see a nature beauty, it's a good thing!). 

The waterfall had another surprise for us - a wonderful stone bridge built in 1939. It was completely unexpected and enchanting! Justin, who is a pretty well traveled fellow, said he has never seen such bridges anywhere in the US, but it did remind him of his trips to Europe. What can I say? I only saw such romantic old bridges in movies or, perhaps, in my dreams - they often take me a long way. 




I typically don't color my hair this bright red, but it felt good for a change.



After enjoying the falls and an easy hike in the woods, we stopped by the hatchery right there, in the park. It's a big deal here, in Washington State (and in general in the US) - usually children learn the life cycle of salmon in 1st grade, and a field trip to one of the local hatcheries is on a must-do list in public schools. There was no activity there that day, but we've seen some fishes - rainbow trouts as I recall. Those are pretty! Did you know that trouts are actually very closely related to salmon? I had no idea!



Other than our very peaceful and enjoyable day trip in a company of my charming chap, I had good fun trying on my little presents, one of which was this scarf - I have never seen one like this before, where silk threads are purposely left between two fine layers of clear fabric, giving the scarf such a unique look and texture. 


And others were this cute purse (I plan to talk more about it in my future post) and the funky shoes which you've already seen before.


There were some wonderful, touching and probably a bit naughty words from the beloved man - you gotta watch this one! :)


...and the whole field of the tiniest daisies in the world. (All right, they might not be exactly daisies, but definitely as cute and friendly as their big sisters!)

Jacket - Eddie Bauer (old). Tank top - Lane Bryant. Pants - Chico's. Shoes - Crocks and Jeffrey Campbell. Purses - boutique finds. Assorted jewelry.


Location: Whatcom Falls, WA

12 comments:

  1. I love the color of your hair, and everything about you.
    Your sandals are beyond gorgeous Natalia.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear Sacramento! I love those shoes too! :) Hugs!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful setting, its like Wales or The lake District and not at all as I'd imagine the USA.
    That second photo makes my heart sing, you look so pretty and your skin is perfect!
    I've never seen a scarf like that before, its the perfect companion for that fab bag and killer shoes. You really do suit green but, there again, every colour looks good on you.
    I wonder what Justin had written in your card? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tickles me that I can offer you a somewhat new outlook at the places where I lived or traveled. :) Before moving to America, I also pictured ii in quite a certain way. The truth is, there is such a huge variety here, one state doesn't look like another! Washington State is actually very similar to England in climate and nature. There are some amazing examples of architecture here, I would love to show more in my blog some time.

      The scarf is so unique! And of course, it is made in India! :)

      Delete
  3. Ah, what a gorgeous place, the waterfall and the bridge are so beautiful. And you echo all that wonderful greenery with your outfit, green works so well for redheads.
    Those small ox-eye daisies are what I think of as "proper" daisies; the bigger varieties always seem weirdly overgrown to me! We always made daisy chains when I was a kid and had a load growing on our lawn.
    Gorgeous scarf and bag too, and like Vix, I am now curious about what sauciness Justin wrote in your card! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These flowers are adorable! We also had tons of daisies in Siberia as I was growing up, and some girls made those flower chains and wreaths of daisies or dandelions, but I haven't learned this skill properly! Maybe you'll teach me some day in the field of tiny daisies. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! It is a beautifully scenic place, the bridge is beautiful, I think it's quite romantic too - these are beautiful photo's of you, green is a beautiful colour on you and I love the richness of your red hair! your scarf is gorgeous! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandra, you are so kind! :) I loved these photos a year ago (when they were taken), and love them even more now... It's an enchanting place!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow. I love the outfit and the bag (resally really like the bag) – and that place looks so beautiful! If I can't be by the sea, a waterfall does me nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waterfalls are amazing, I love them too, and we are lucky to have a few here... I am sorry that you can't be by the sea as I don't imagine my life without it, just love it. I can definitely live without mountains though - I love them from the distance. :) Isn't it interesting how it works for us? The bag is by Nicole Lee - maybe you can find it online (ebay etc). It's adorable and very Spring-like to me. :) Glad that you liked it!

      Delete
  6. Another fantastic outfit and scenery that looks like home to me! How fitting that you dressed in green. The bag and the shoes and the scarf, Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, now I remember that we actually were going somewhere else, but got so chatty - we missed our exit and didn't bother to go back. So we just kept going, and I thought why not visit Bellingham? It's just a few miles from the Canadian border! You probably have gorgeous waterfalls like this one too!

      I love green, it is so me. I love all the colors, but there is something very special to me about green. I can probably just through on any green things I own - and it will still look like a decent outfit! :))

      Delete